Julia Nance. Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Roma!

Arriving in Rome was stressful. In my first few hours I witnessed an Italian woman (who was very kind) have her mobile stolen from her bag on the bus. Just an immediate reminder to be alert and careful. I chose wisely with my bag. The zip pocket and it being a shoulder bag allow me to have it secure in front of me at all times. I’ve also set the inside so that I have things covering things in it (like a foam/fabric insert over my camera, paper notes covering another compartment, and all valuables such as wallet and phone secured in a zip under the flap at the front).

The hostel is a camping village called ‘Plus Roma camping’. It’s a very social place – although I haven’t had much chance to meet anybody else yet.

Today, I journeyed to the Colosseum.
After figuring the way to get there, the metro ended up breaking down (or something… not sure what. We all had to get off anyway).
Then proceeded a bit of walking by foot, followed by the sweatiest, cramped bus ride I have ever experienced.

The colosseum was amazing though. I guess you always see the pictures, but it was the moment in the colosseum where I really had that ‘toto, it looks like we’re not in Kansas anymore’ moment.
The enormity of it is overwhelming - in a positive way.
The textures, the size, the obscure structures are so fascinating.

After a long day of walking, my legs are exhausted.
Looking forward to more Italy, despite its largeness and business making me feel a little (or a lot) homesick.











 

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Julia. Glad to see you in them too. I Love reading your blog, very interesting. You won't have to explain so much when you get home. Mum

    ReplyDelete

 

Search This Blog

Blogroll